This chapter will end the book of 3 Nephi. To sum things up, Mormon writes the words of Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, that He has commanded him to give to us in our day. They are strong words:
“Hearken, O ye Gentiles, and hear the words of Jesus Christ…” (1)
When our Savior speaks so plainly, we should take heed and listen. This sounds important.
Turn, all ye Gentiles, from your wicked ways; and repent of your evil doings, of your lyings and deceivings, and of your whoredoms and of your secret abominations, and your idolatries, and of your murders, and your priestcrafts, and your envyings and your strifes, and from all your wickedness and abominations, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may receive a remission of your sins and be filled with the Holy Ghost, that ye may be numbered with my people who are of the house of Israel.”3 Nephi 30:2
Turning away from wicked pursuits to Christ is what repentance is all about. Leave behind those things that keep distance between us and our Lord. There are a lot of things that can distract us or seduce us away from Him.
- Evil doings – big umbrella term for anything that pleases the devil
- Lyings – dishonesty in any form
- Deceivings – Can we deceive ourselves into thinking we are good and don’t need to change?
- Whoredoms – there is the obvious example we think of with this word, but any activity that is faithless or unworthy could fall under this term
- Secret abominations – God sees all, even that which we think we’re hiding from others
- Idolatries – worshipping or giving our time and devotion to anything other than Christ. This can include social media activity, sports, hobbies, vacationing, celebrity worship, pornography, and even good pursuits, if they come before God.
- Murders – there is the literal crime and then more metaphorical murders we can commit when we are unkind or even cruel to others in person or online or in person.
- Priestcrafts – this word makes me think of scheming and machinations to get power or control over someone through some negative tactic.
- Envyings – Are we jealous of the validation or attention others get online?
- Strifes – Are we civil in all forms of communication that we participate in?
Jesus Christ calls all of us to leave all these things behind to come unto Him and be baptized, to receive a remission of our sins through Him, and receive the Holy Ghost. When we choose to follow Him as He has commanded, we are numbered among His people, no matter who we are, what color our skin is or culture we belong to, no matter how much money we have or don’t have. No matter what. None of our worldly titles or shames come along with us when we choose to become His.
What can I turn away from today, to come unto Christ more fully?
Get a FREE copy of the Book of Mormon, to learn how to come unto Christ more fully.