Now that Alma is not tied down by the judgment seat responsibilities, he speaks to the church members in Zarahemla. The first thing he does is remind them of all God has done for their ancestors in the past, delivering them out of bondage and pouring out blessings upon them.
“…have you sufficiently retained in remembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has delivered their souls from hell?” (6)
I love the word sufficiently. He didn’t want them just to casually remember, but to go beyond that. By sufficiently remembering all the blessings the Lord has given their people in the past, they will be pushed to action.
We must look back to be able to have faith to move forward.
- Do I sufficiently remember all God has done for people written about in the scriptures?
- Do I sufficiently remember all God has done for my ancestors or nation?
- Do I sufficiently remember all God has done for me in the past?
Alma talks about how his father and his people had their hearts changed and were “awakened…out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God.” (7) They were spiritually saved.
Alma asks “on what conditions are they saved? Yea, what grounds had they to hope for salvation? What is the cause of their being loosed from the bands of death, yea, and also the chains of hell?” (10)
He answers by saying his father believed in the words of the prophet, Abinadi.
And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart. Behold, I say unto you that this is all true.”Alma 5:12
Alma the elder preached what he believed and the rest of the people received a mighty change of heart as well. This change of heart caused these outward actions:
…and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.”Alma 5:13
- What can I do in my life to sufficiently remember all the miracles, blessings, and healing power the Lord has shown to others in past history?
- Could I do a little better in recording my gratitude for what He has done so that I don’t easily forget it in the future?
Alma thought the answer was YES! So, what will I DO today to remember more fully the goodness and mercy of God?